Wednesday 16 December 2015

Through the gate, final final hand in and crit.

   At the end of the 3 weeks set for this project, I hadn't quite managed to finish the project. I decided that learning new programs and elements of programs would be more beneficial to me in the future. The processes I learnt have already come into play within the 2 other projects I decided to do. So already I'm seeing a bit of progress with what I have learnt.
   At the end of the project my scene/level looked like this.
Scene after 3 weeks.
   Some of the textures were unfinished, the lighting wasn't particularly interesting. the colours were too saturated and the layout of the textures and UV's were inefficient. Because f this I considered this a high priority project to work into in the 10th "polish" week of the three projects.
   I took a few days out to re pack the uv's and re texture some of the assets. I also added a post processing volume to set a better mood than the one I previously had, along with a height fog volume to enhance that also. The water needed work to. Because I changed the mood of the scene slightly, it looked off, so I tinkered about with it. The finished water isn't exactly what I wanted but its pretty close. But the main change that I implemented was the grass. For the first grass I made I hand painted a blade and created a tuft in 3ds max, which didn't look right. Afterwards I realising there was a better, more efficient way, which included projecting a series of blades onto a plane and instancing that into a cluster of grass. It took a while to get right, but it was more than worth it for the contrasting outcome. Another foliage eement I changed was the ivy, before I made 2 individual sections to place on the front wall, but I soon realised thats really inefficient. So I looked into what industry do and slit them up into 2 small variations, a straight piece and a 9 degree andle section for use all over the level, not just the front wall.
Final final hand in.
   The final final outcome is so much better in terms of efficiency, texture quality, overall feel, colours and lighting. I still feel I could improve this further with time. The noticeable improvements I could make include, the foliage on the tree, I would implement the same method I used for the grass if I was to do it again, I could also work into the water a bit more, for a more convincing water feel. I would also have liked to layout the level a bit better, so instead of it being a floating rectangular level, I would have liked to lay it out in such a way that It would appear to be a section of a game. An obvious way would be to section it off within a rocky crevice. But overall I am happy with the outcome I have produced and the processes I've learnt throughout the project. 

No comments: