Monday 30 November 2015

Stylized shop front - week 2

   This week has flown by with the completion of modelling and unwrapping and a start on texturing within substance painter. I've had some crit off of Stas and Mike K which I've worked on to improve my project further.
   Modelling was complete pretty quickly, or so I thought until I got to texturing. Which led me onto the layout of the ground. 
Previous layout with new texture.
The plan was to have the ground a tarmac tile, with double yellows around the edge, and a small drainage indent in the ground leading to a drainage grate. When I applied a tiling texture too it, I realised the colour was too bland, and the work I would have to put into lining everything up wouldn't be worth it in the end. It also might not look particularly good either. So I went back to the model and altered the ground to a slab layout, covering the pavement. Giving a difference between it and the road. To do this I had to alter the UV slightly as well, but not by much. 
New layout.
   Texturing also got me thinking more about the colour scheme of the scene. I originally wasn't sure of the pallet, all I wanted was a few select colours that worked well together. I started with the brickwork and worked from there. The bricks and plaster had a red tone to them. So I decided to go for a blue opposing colour for the trim. Now I'm also thinking I might do something like a split complementary or a triad colour scheme. Making the signs or other small assets purple or pink. 
Current colour pallet and further dev.
   When Mike came over he suggested toning down the plaster saturation, as it covers a large surface area. Along with making smaller assets pop a little more. This gives the scenes pallet a more harmonious feel. He also recommended I scale the 512 texture of plaster down to give me more room to work with in terms of blend mapping the floor etc.
End of the week.
   Earlier in the week Stas recommended I add some more architectural elements from my reference to break up the walks a bit and to gain some more interesting features. Which I did before the end of the week. He also suggested I do something more with the floor. As at the time it was just a rectangular plain. The floor he suggested was a chunky base, as if the floor had been ripped away with the building from a street, with pipes hanging from it. But I couldn't see something like that fitting in with my budget. So I opted for something more poly friendly.
   When it came to unwrapping, I've tried my best to pack the UV as tightly as possible, although I still have some gaps here and there. I also split one of the 4 1024x1024's up into 2 tilables and a half texture sheet 1024x512. But overall I'm happy with how far my texture sheet packing has come since the start of the year.
Half unwrap.

No comments: