Saturday 31 January 2015

Container city - Postmortem

   This is just going to be an overview of what this project has taught me, what I've done and the problems we've occurred.
   Environment art is the area of the industry I preferably want to go into at this point. But this project had made me consider something else. Overall I think this is the worse project I have done to date. It wasn't massively terrible, and I feel we could have done so much better had we gone with this to start with. But due to our understanding of the brief, or there lack of, we misinterpreted and started something that wasn't right. Due to this we only had half the time to complete the project, this caused us to rush and make mistakes. Doing these mistakes taught me what not to do in the future, which is always a valuable lesson. Lets hope the potential loss of marks is worth the lesson.
   To start with we decided to make a spaceship interior, and I was in charge of making the modular corridors. A really enjoyable process, and it taught me how to go about making modular assets, a skill which will certainly come in handy in the future. Maybe the next project will allow me to do this again.
   The modular process took a little bit of getting used to but I'm much better now than when I started, its too bad we didn't use this kind of modularity in our final project.

   Group work is hard at times, as everyone's got conflicting ideas, the trick is to discuss and talk through it until you can agree on something you all want to do. If your working on something that you dont want to, your not going to perform to the best of your abilities and therefore not produce a finished piece that shows off your skills. I think we worked well as a team, we all talked about what we wanted and tried to incorporate all our ideas, but only if it was plausible.

   Throughout the project the assets I were given to model were generally quite sparse with variety, the textures were plain and I found it hard to make them look real. I think I need to work on engine shaders, I've heard they can really add to your work and give it grounding.

No comments: