Sunday 19 October 2014

Week 3 - Jack of all trades, master of none

   Well, this week has been an interesting one. I've forgetting everything I know about life drawing and back again in a couple of drawing, teamwork has hit a few rocks, I've realized why I'm not on an architecture course and also found out I have nothing that I'm "The bee's knees" at.

   As I mentioned in my last blog post its good to get out of your comfort zone from time to time. And after last weeks reasonable drawing in charcoal, I thought to myself, this week I can do better than that. Which is a good start, you feel motivated, upbeat and in the zone, that is until you produce this...

Chalk pastel attempt no.1
   ...I...I don't even know, I lost all mental and physical ability to draw. Technical ability, rendering, proportions just went out the metaphorical window. Lets just call it a shambles to say the least. But I thought to myself I'll give it another go, I must have just started it in the wrong way of something silly like that. And the results... well lets just say I'd rather not post the results. It was better, I guess, but I'd rather not embarrass myself any further. Then I changed media, and all was right with the world. I've never been a big fan of pastels' ,oil or chalk, charcoal or any other other smudge-able media. I much prefer pencil, pen and the classic digital painting. 

Final drawing using red biro.
   Onto the group project. I am enjoying it, very much so. but as a group were not doing so well. Its harder than we imagined. I think some of us are pulling our weight a little more than others.  Teamwork has been split evenly throughout the project, and everything got modeled, a little later than expected but it was done, the problem came when feedback was needed. Feedback gets hard when the whole team isn't their to receive it, then production is slowed. Having to work on fixing issues other than your own sets things back slightly. It was a notch in the production line but I think were over it now, and since then things have improved I'm happy to say. Things are moving forward. 

White box render of our room from X-men :First Class
   We've modeled all the assets and unwrapped them. After the presentation on Thursday we realized we allocated to little time for putting into engine so that's a priority. Time management could have been handled differently to improve our workflow, but we're managing. Everything should be textured by Monday night and then its onto importing to UDK. The scene is looking good as a white box and will look amazing finished.
   The maket to go along with our digital model was hard, making it to scale didn't sit well and only one of the couch's got modeled as they were to hard to make. The camera tricks that were used in the filming make it hard to replicate the angle of all the assets so I don't think it's gong to look right in the final picture, but we'll see.

This week has given me an insight into how I am as an artist, modeler and overall craftsman, if that's the right word to use. I wouldn't say I'm amazing or rubbish as any aspect of the course, others might disagree, but from my perspective I seem to be doing ok at everything, the only problem with that is I don't seem to be excelling as one area of it either. I don't know if that's a good thing or not, on one hand its good that I can do everything but on the other I feel like others will get hired over me because they can achieve great things in one field. I guess I'll have to choose what I want to do and role with it, hanging back on the things I don't necessarily want to be.

No comments: