Monday 9 November 2015

Substance painter is life.

   Two weeks into the project and my workflow as been great, I have easily left myself plenty of time for texturing and polishing. Up to now I have modelled, unwrapped, baked most of the high poly and done a decent amount of texturing, all while enhancing my knowledge of substance painter. I feel a lot more confident with my workflow now than I did previous to this project. And the projects not over yet.
   At the start of the week I started baking in my high poly version using X normals. At this point Mike P came over and mentioned his script, and that baking in max might be a better way to do it. Giving better results. I spent a good majority of the rest of that day trying to bake in max. But I couldn't seem to get my head around it. After a good while, I finished the rest of the bake in X normal to make sure I didn't fall behind like the last project. I gave it a go, but the time could be better spent right now on finishing the project. I 'll definitely come back to baking in max, as it will look better to future employers if I know how to bake in both max and X normals. I've baked out high poly versions of sections of the mesh, along with projecting other sections like screws and bolts too.


   Now onto the good stuff, Substance painter! When I used it for the last project I only scratched the surface of what it can do. I used it previously to remove seems on some rocks. But for this project I plan to do most of my texturing, if not all of it, in substance painter. Up to yet, I have spent the best part of 2 days working with it. Its really great for getting base textures down, in either block colours or tileables. I can see a lot of progress coming along quickly over using Photoshop. But really they come hand in hand when it comes to texturing anyway.

   At the end of the week I decided to work over my screenshots with some notes on how I feel I can improve on what I've got already. I know the project not nearly finished yet but its nice to reiterate and plan that extra little bit rather than waiting. These  notes were just to confirm and write down what I was thinking. That way I don't forget anything and I have something solid to help me visualise the finished product.



No comments: