Monday 12 October 2015

Colour pallets - Behind the gate

   This morning I have been exploring the colour pallets of a few partially stylized games across the market. Creating this quick colour pick helped me visualize patterns in the pallet better, so here it is.
  Doing this brought certain things to my attention. When I play a game I tend to notice the colours present, but I don't really take them in, if that makes sense. Bioshock infinite was a good example of this. The colours pop because they're pretty vibrant, but what I didn't realize until doing this, is how matte they are. Its a very pastely pallet. The first 2 Bioshock's are quite the opposite, which makes sense to those who have played the games. Opposite ends of the spectrum to say the least. Its a dark and pretty sinister game, but all the time you get these pops of vibrant neon colour. I know its a pretty drastic example in the picture above with literal neon lights in the shot but its the same throughout in other areas too.
Another example.
   I decided to do this for real life examples of hot springs, to see how the pallets compared and see what I could do to gamify them.

   I got a pretty large range of colours, but not many of them stood up to vibrancy of the ones in games. Which makes sense, as nature doesn't collectively deliver a vast range of bright colours in one place often. Along with this usually being in a rural area, you don't get the vibrant lights of a city. 
   When I'm choosing my colours I'm going to try and retain a similar pallet as the one in real life but try and brighten it up while adding the pasel feel like bioshock infinite has. So my colours are going to be sort of a mix in styles from No Mans sky and Bioshock infinite.

No comments: