Sunday 16 November 2014

Sentry Gun - Postmortem.

   This is going to just be a conclusion and overview of the processes I used during the sentry project. How I could improve and what I liked about it.
   During this project I went through a lot off different processes, the first of which came when designing the gun; Silhouetting, kit bashing, mood boards, splicing objects together, sketching and randomizing with a dice. I chose to use all of those apart from randomizing, mainly because I wanted to experiment with techniques and learn new processes. There are multiple iterations of this stage to get you to your final design. Next was the modelling stage where I used the design I have come up with, and model it in 3ds max. After this I went on to the colour exploration phase. I used my final silhouette and overlaid it with colour. This allowed me to quickly make iterations of colour without going into too much detail, giving me a rough idea of what looks good and what doesn't. After this I disassembled my model into the 4 required pieces and imported it into unreal engine 4 to test that it works. When I knew it worked fine, I moved onto the texturing stage. Throughout texturing I constantly applied the texture to my model in UE4 to see how it looked. I also went into more detail on the colour exploration when I was texturing, as you can get a better idea of what the colour looks like when it’s actually on your model. Along with my albedo texture, I also made a roughness, metalness and normal map to go with it. While using these processes for the design of the gun itself, I also used some of them for the projectile too. Finally I imported my final textures into UE4 and altered the settings accordingly, setting the desirable speed I wanted it to shoot, the bounciness of the shell etc.

There were a few things I could have done differently to improve my project. To start I wish i'd have designed something different to model. so I could do more with the blueprints in engine. Mainly because I would have learnt a lot more. others did things with lasers, particle effects, rotations of the mesh and more stuff on illumination. Things I'll have to incorporate into my next projects or work on in my spare time. Next I feel like I didn't put as much design into the gun texture and look as I could have done by designing something else. Because my sentry was based on a series of existing products (Black & Decker tools), the overall look was set out for me, it was nice to do this, but next time i'll go for something more original. And finally if I were to redo the project, I would like to have done more with Z-brush. A program we don't need to use really, but if the time is there, then I don't see the harm in experimenting with it a little and incorporating it into future projects. It is a skill that will be helpful in the future for a lot of us.

White box renders of my sentry in UE4.
   Overall I feel the project was a success. I finished all that the brief required. I used a lot of different processes in the designing stage which I’m happy about, as I learnt a lot. Modelling went well and I managed to keep to the 5000 tri budget, with a whole 6 tri’s to spare. Texturing was questionable, as I mentioned above I wasn't sure what to do for the main body of the gun because it felt plain to me. Plastic doesn't have much texture too it, but leaving it a flat colour seemed like a huge waste of my texture sheet, and left the gun looking boring. But with a slight grainy brush I managed to make it look good in engine. I’m still unsure about the space I used on the unwrap, but it does look good in engine so I’m happy. Along with this, the rest of the texture sheet looks good too, in my opinion.
   My favorite part of the project was putting the sentry in engine. There’s just so much you can do with blueprints alone, to bring your gun to life. I had a go at working some additional blueprints in which I didn't end up using, but I did learn about them and that’s the point. On a side note, as the project progressed I noticed others had done some really extravagant things with their project. This left me feeling as if I’d hung back and done a really boring gun. My aim original was to make mine more realistic. But some of the guns I saw changed my mind in an instant. When making a semi-realistic gun, you do cut yourself off to a lot of great things. So next time I’m going to go a bit wackier with my ideas.
   To summarize, the processes I used include silhouetting, splicing and kit bashing for the initial design, along with sketching and a bit of painting to help me along to my final design. Doing all these processes gave me a wide range of techniques and helped me generate ideas quickly and easily. I did a few iterations of this process. Then I modeled my design in 3ds max, and changed things I didn't like, or that didn't look right on the gun. The normal I made had more definitive detail on it than the albedo, roughness and metalness maps. This had to be done as the texture of the gun should be pretty plain, it’s a relatively new gun and wouldn't have any deep scratched or large marks on it, whereas the normal shows the design on the side, a design that would have at least tripled my tri count to recreate in geometry, something that you wouldn't do even on a next gen game. I then imported my textures and meshes into UE4 and set up the blueprints for multiple projectiles, edited the bounciness and speed of them and I was done.

Final finished sentry in UE4.

No comments: