Saturday 9 April 2016

FMP Week 13 - Texturing in painter and design

   As I'm onto the texturing phase of the project and have been for some time now, I've spent a lot of time in substance painter and designer, as you might imagine. This weeks been no exception, I've textured a bunch of smaller assets within the pub section of the level as my intention is to get that area to an almost finished state. Here's a couple of the props I'm using within the scene.
Speaker/PA system prop.
Cardboard boxes prop.
   I feel these are textured enough to add without worrying about them, and then I can move back onto them later on when everything else is to the same standard as these. I think I might have to add more smaller "filler" props later to the rest of the scene to dress it up a bit more in other locations of the map, as to not keep repeating them as much and give some variety.

With the assets that's needed to populate the pub scene, they'res obviously the pub itself too. As I'm facing a lot of industrial materials and dull bricks I wanted the pub to stand out a bit more, to draw attention. So I decided that the pub for the most part would be metallic. It works well with the 2 sides I have located next tot he pub. Those of which I also textured this week. I've had a few problems with the metal not shining and shading properly. But after a bit of asking around I was told that a reflection sphere is needed to cause the reflections to act as they would in real life.
Pub
   Previously I was sure that 2k textures would be alright for my scene, but now after texting a few of the assets that you're going to be very close to. I'm sure that 4k would be more suited. If need be I can always downscale later on.

As I've been using substance designer to create some of my tillable textures. I was under the impression that by giving the materials parameters, and adding those to the engine file, it would be extremely handy. But after actually doing it, I feel as if the main function of them for me is to adjust, and find a nice balance that works. Followed by creating a standard tillable and using the parameters I know work in engine.
Brick parameters in engine.
    Here are the parameters in engine, controlled by a series of sliders that I have set in substance designer. You can set as many or as little as you wish. This brick texture I intended to have a few varieties, hence why I have many options to change, giving me a wider variety to choose form. Like I mentioned you set these yourself, so for something that isn't as complex you can just have the few sliders like this tarp texture I made.
Tarp parameters in engine.
    The parameters are set into the specific nodes and can also be used within designer to make it easier for you to alter the substance from the host program.
Brick parameters in designer.
As of yet, I have not noticed any problems with frame rate drop because of the parameters. But as I am changing them to standard tillable's, It wont matter by the end of the project anyway.

No comments: