Friday 29 January 2016

FMP Week 2.

   This weeks been a lot of placing modular meshes and replacing the BSP with the placeholder ones ready to be swapped out with the finished meshes later down the line. So unfortunately for me, not a lot has been done this week in the way of variety. I tested the modularity first before going crazy in the actual block out, so I knew it was functional. I also had to rethink my camera angles for the final renders. My original shots included a lot of rooftops. Which when I was told to reduce the size, I cut out completely pretty much, removing a lot of playable space and work in the process. My new shots are showing generally the same area but in different ways.
Modularity test.
Adding to the white box.
   Planning is important when working on a large project like this, I had previously done a rough timeline of how I thought I would be best setting out my time, now having to show the tutors my progress and thought s on the matter I drafted up a crisper version.
Time plan of duration and specific dates.
   To break up the continuous placement of laying out the modular buildings over the BSP, I took a break to think more about the colour pallet I wanted for the environment. So I looked at my ref and picked out some of the colours I thought had potential.
   I want some sort of a basic orange/brown/cream tone for the buildings, nothing too flashy and bold as its going to cover a large surface area. The larger the surface area the more de saturated it should be. Then with the smaller details and focal points I plan to make them more saturated so they pop and stand out to the player, drawing interest and it will give the scene a better atmosphere. Focal points will be things like banners, foliage, story elements etc.
   Currently another problem I've been told about is the floor. It currently sits so flat, and could do with some height and interest. Obviously when its textured it'll look less noticeable, but either way I set to work looking at some games for interest and inspiration. The main game I know with a simply amazing floor, is Bloodbourne. I know I'll never be able to compete with that. Well maybe if I spent all 20 weeks on it, I might come close. But non the less it's great to look at and try and figure out how they've done it.
Look at it!!!!
   The way I think they've pulled it off, is a combination of vertex painting between a series of materials. The puddles, cobbles and then the mud/dirt. Along with using the foliage brush to add raised cobble stones and small bits of foliage to the mix. But I could be wrong. They could have used tessellation or paralaxing too, honestly I have no idea. All I know is I'm going to try and create some wicked flooring using the method above.

No comments: