Tuesday 12 January 2016

FMP Week 1: Part 1

   To kick off the first official week on my FMP I decided generating some ideas of buildings and architectural designs would be useful. So I used the reference images I’d previously gathered to create two mood boards. One on Russian Constructivism architecture and the other on a varied amount of sci fi architecture. Having both up in front of me at once, allowed for an easy start in the design process. I looked at the key features of the Russian architecture style, windows, height, floor layout etc, and applied them in a more futuristic style to give a good mix of the two.
Sci fi elements mood board.
Russian constructivism mood board.




   Along with these architectural sketches, I set to work placing cameras around my scene for the final key render shots. I think at this point I'm going to go with 4 but that could vary later down the line. Each camera is set up to show a key part of the level. The main gate, market, Emily's ship location and one final one to show off the level as a whole. 
   Guest character artist Shay Hulbert, dropped by to give us a little bit of a helping hand. Shay and Craig had a quick look at my section of the environment and immediately mentioned its way too large, maybe cut out the interiors and some of the bottom sections of the level. Basically anything that's unnecessary. I cut out the bottom alley way, some of the right hand side urban section, all the interiors and a small section tot he bottom left. Its great that all these previous students, now industry standard, return to mentor us on occasion. In a few years It might be me returning to help out future students, but for now I'll stick to being a rookie.
Reduced white box.
When reducing, I had to move around a section I recently added, set on a rooftop. Which would now be on the bottom right building. I moved it more central so you can overlook the entire level from it.

No comments: